Market Towns

Hartington

An important village since the Middle Ages, Hartington was granted a market charter in 1203 by William De Ferres and became a major centre for a large rural population from the many isolated farms in the surrounding area.

Walk to Hartington either by the traffic free former salt road - 1.5 miles - or take the footpath down Biggin Dale to the River Dove where the foot path follows the river through Beresford Dale and on to the village.

The market square's attractions include the Beresford tea rooms, Charles Cotton pub, local stores, gift shops and tyhe Hartington Cheese shop.